Before joining the City Council, I had no idea how seriously I would take this job. I feel personally involved when there is trouble, and proud as a new dad when things go well. I had no idea that the role of “city father” was really like being a father. I am honored to be entrusted with this responsibility by our residents.
Here’s a little more about me:
Early Life – Though I have lived in Naperville since 1987, I grew up on the South Side of Chicago in a very close-knit neighborhood where my mother still lives. This background has taught me the importance of strong, stable neighborhoods.
Education – Master’s degree in social sciences from the University of Chicago, 1999. Master’s in urban planning from Michigan State, 1986. B.A. in English from Illinois State, 1976
- Principal, McElroy Associates, Naperville
- Senior Planner, Planning Resources Inc., Wheaton
- Vice President of Editorial Services, Windle Inc., Oak Brook
- Deputy Director, City of Aurora, IL, Division of City Planning
Community Experience –
- Naperville City Councilman, 2010 – present
- Volunteer, along with wife, for St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church marriage preparation program
- Volunteer, Reading for the Blind & Dyslexic, 1999-2008
- Board of Directors, Resiliency Institute
- Board of Directors, Naperville Responds For Our Veterans
- NCTV17 Board of Directors
- Naperville for Clean Energy & Conservation
- Naperville Plan Commission, 2004-2010
- Rotary Club of Naperville
- Naperville Development Partnership
Family – I have been married to Kay for 35 years. We have three amazing children: Mike, 29, Laura, 28, Brendan, 25. All attended District 203 schools.
Hobbies – For the past 15 years I have been trying to teach myself how to play the guitar. I also buy and sell used guitars.