The above interview is from 2015, but the issues are still relevant
After living here for 32 years, I am deeply committed to keeping Naperville a great place to live, play, and do business. As a professional city planner, I have the expertise to help make that happen.
Here’s a little more about me:
Early Life – Though I have lived in Naperville since 1987, I grew up on the south side of Chicago in a close-knit neighborhood where my mother lived until 2017. This background taught me the importance of strong, stable neighborhoods.
Education – Master’s degree in social sciences from the University of Chicago, 1999. Master’s in urban planning from Michigan State, 1986.
- Principal, McElroy Associates, Naperville
- Senior Planner, Planning Resources Inc., Wheaton
- Vice President of Editorial Services, Windle Inc., Oak Brook
- Deputy Director, City of Aurora, IL, Division of City Planning
Community Experience –
- Naperville City Councilman, 2010 – 2015
- Co-leader, along with wife Kay, for St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church marriage preparation program, 2012 to present
- Volunteer, Reading for the Blind & Dyslexic, 1999-2008
- Board of Directors, Resiliency Institute, 2013 to present
- Board of Directors, Naperville Responds For Veterans, 2017 to present
- NCTV17 Board of Directors
- Naperville Plan Commission, 2004-2010
- Sunrise Rotary Club of Naperville
- Naperville Development Partnership, founding board of directors member
Family – I have been married to Kay for 39 years. We have three amazing children: Mike; Laura; and Brendan. All attended District 203 schools.
Hobbies – For the past 15 years I have been trying to teach myself how to play the guitar. I also buy and sell used guitars.